Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sweet Potato Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce

I love sweet potatoes. I really do. But, I only love them when sufficient amounts of heat and spice have been added to perk them up. This recipe for sweet potato enchiladas perfectly fits the bill. I actually found this recipe a couple of years ago, but like many others, it just sat dormant in my favorites list...until last night! Yes, last night, I invited a few good friends with whom I studied abroad over for dinner, and I decided to try my hand at something with a Mexican flair for a change, as opposed to the usual Indian-inspired fare I prepare for guests. You see, I'm heading back to Paris in just under a week, and I want to pack in as much Mexican food as humanly possible before then, since it can be a bit hard to come by that side of the Atlantic! And, it was a great decision, if I do say so myself. What, with the subtly sweet yet flavorful sweet potato filling, wrapped inside flour tortillas, adorned with copious amounts of melted raw sharp cheddar cheese and HOMEMADE spicy enchilada sauce...need I say more? :) This dish was impressive, and the grilled guacamole I threw together served as the perfect refreshing accompaniment. This turned out a hit even with those who were "not normally enchilada people." If you've been avidly searching for a twist on classic Mexican fare, the answer to your dilemma awaits right below, as I present to you this truly one-of-a-kind recipe for sweet potato enchiladas!

Sweet Potato Enchiladas (adapted from Allrecipes.com):
5 sweet potatoes
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
4 green onions, washed and chopped
2 tsp. chilli powder
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. dried oregano
scant 1.5 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
12 fajita size flour tortillas
1 batch enchilada sauce, recipe below
1 8 oz. package of raw sharp cheddar cheese(or any other kind you like), shredded

Prick sweet potatoes with a knife on all sides, and cook them in a microwave on "potato" setting or according to manufacturer's instructions. Place them in a closed brown bag for a few minutes, then peel and mash coarsely. Then, add chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, cream cheese and green onions, and mash finely. Preheat your oven to 350F. Slightly warm tortillas, wrapped in a damp paper towel, for about 20-30 seconds. Fill each one with about 1/3 cup sweet potato mixture in the center. Then, roll up the tortilla, and place each enchilada seam-side down in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Pour about 3 cups of enchilada sauce over the rolled tortillas, and spread shredded cheese on top. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and the sauce is bubbling. Serve hot with guacamole and/or sour cream!
Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce(adapted from This Week for Dinner):
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. ancho chili powder
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1.5 cups water
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onions until translucent. Add the flour, garlic, chili powder and remaining oil. Stir constantly for about 3-5 minutes over medium heat. Add tomato sauce, water and cumin. Simmer for about 10 minutes on medium-low heat. Add salt and cayenne pepper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! An update! Thanks for the Enchilada sauce recipe. I really miss good Mexican food. I'm so excited to make my own. I hope I can find ancho chili powder. If not, do you think regular chili powder will work well enough?

Pooja

Priya said...

Super irresistible enchiladas, inviting.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates